Two Muslim clerics were arrested from Mewat in Haryana last month for their alleged link to the terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba. They have accepted to approaching Muslim youth in riot-hit Muzaffarnagar area.
Two Muslim clerics were arrested from Mewat in Haryana last month for their alleged link to the terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba by the Special Cell of Delhi Police. As per the report of Indian Express, the clerics have accepted their visit to the riot hit Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh.
According to the same report, some of the men, who were living on the fringes of Muzaffarnagar and Shamli, were allegedly approached by the terror outfits refused to join hands with them and instead informed the Special Cell of the Delhi Police. On Monday, they recorded their detailed statements under section 164 CrPC in the chamber of a city magistrate at the Patiala House court. The sealed statements are now admissible as evidence in court.
They are believed to have told investigators that the two imams from Mewat – Hafeez Rashidi and Shahid – allegedly made numerous visits along with a senior LeT operative, currently on the run.
The extreme conditions under which the Muzaffarnagar victims have been reportedly living in and the over exploitation of the matter by the political parties allegedly gave these terror outfits a much needed hole to fill in. The operatives have been trying to exploit and induct vulnerable youth in their module.
They allegedly tried to radicalise the victims by encouraging them to be loyal to their religion and join hands with the Lashkar operatives for a good cause. They were apparently promised a good lifestyle and money for their families, but the victims refused and chose to approach the police.
The two clerics, suspected to be linked to top Lashkar operative Javed Baluchi, allegedly told investigators that Baluchi had about eight months back tasked the module to recruit youths from Mewat and other vulnerable areas. However, a few weeks after the Jat-Muslim riots broke out in Muzaffarnagar in September, they claimed they were ordered to visit the place and identify prospective field operatives.
The news gives credibility to the three month old statement of Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi who, in course of delivering a speech in Indore of Madhya Pradesh in one of his election campaign rally, had claimed that Pakistani Intelligence agencies have approached youths of Muzaffarnagar.
“There are 10 to 15 such Mussalman boys whose brothers and sisters were killed in the riots and who were approached by Pakistani agencies,” he had said in the rally. “The victims wish to go to Pakistan now,” he had further added.
Rahul had drawn a great ire from the opposition and media for his “insensitive” remark at that time. While Muslim institutions and parties demanded an explanation over his remark, BJP and other had demanded an unconditional apology from him. His own party members, including Jairam Ramesh who is very loyal to him, had suggested that apologise for his statement.
He was also pulled up by the Election Commission for his remark.
While the irresponsible manner in which the statement was delivered cannot be denied, it seems pretty clear that everybody will have to bite their words.
Rahul had recently given Muzaffarnagar a surprise visit where he was stopped by some youth from entering into the rehabilitation camps. Rahul had advised Uttar Pradesh government from the area to intervene and improve living conditions in the area.
After Congress tasted bitter loss in four assembly elections last month, there has been a drastic change in the way Rahul conducts himself. His standard of politics has also risen. While his FICCI speech was widely applauded, he has also been very much available to the media.
As to how much change in the people’s perspective comes after this added credibility, is yet to be ascertained.