Yes, it is our valiant Former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee, for whom nation came first before power.
Be it Kargil, Pokhran or National Highways; this person has shown that what a true leader can achieve when he has a dauntless spirit without being smitten by the taste of power. “Buddha smiles again” these three words from the most eminent President of India APJ Abdul Kalam, then scientific advisor to the former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee gave India a new identity of-a Nuclear Power nation in the world. This valiant step shocked the western world and compelled them to change their way of looking at India. Though he was criticized by many, but he knew what is to be done for your country to take it to the path of development.
On 16th August 2018, he left behind the bereaving countrymen, for his heavenly abode. With thousands of mourners and present Prime Minister accompanying him in his final journey proved the magnanimity of the personality.
Not only he was the chamber of inspiration, but a leader whom opposition also had to respect without any choice. He is best remembered as a perfect orator, best spokesperson and an ideal leader a nation can have. As a leader he has given India numerous reasons to love him and respect him. Out of them, here we would love to reintroduce the glorious five reasons in the years of 1998-2004, that made him a man of actions. They are:
- Under the leadership of Former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee, India reached new height in the economic world, with the introduction of new economic reforms. Various catastrophic incidents tried to pull him down, but with all his courage he gave tough fight to the 2001 earthquake, two cyclones, Kargil conflict or parliament attack. Despite facing these circumstances, he was successful in maintaining a stable economy.
- There was a rise in private business in India during his period, empowering privatization in various sectors. This reduced government’s involvement in the industry, strengthening the economy of the country.
- As a true leader, who’s for one and all, he proved that not a single strata should be neglected from the benefits of a government. He was the first prime minister who made elementary education free for children between 6-14years. This was launched in 2001 and brought a remarkable change in the percentage of dropouts.
- Former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee approved Chandrayan-1 project, India’s first lunar probe which was launched in 2008. It was a major boost to the India’s space program, as it used its own researched and developed technology to explore the moon. Not only the space program, with APJ Abdul Kalam and other scientists, defense officers and other officials he scripted the success story of nation’s nuclear power state. Which was a secret until the first test was done and ensured nuclear power to the country, for strengthening the defensive wall. He said, “We have the capacity for a big bomb now. Ours will never be weapons of aggression”.
- Of all the projects, another landmark achievement which added feather to his crown of successful leadership, was the most ambitious national highway project. It included Golden Quadrilateral and Pradhanmantri Gramin Sadak Yojna, which connected the metropolitan cities through network of highways and also the distant and unmarked villages across the country with a web of all-weather roads.
With his path-breaking steps from challenging the world with its nuclear power, to connecting the nation with the networks of highways he proved that, when you have a will for doing something good nothing can stop the way. The pregnant pauses have stopped forever, we lost not only a former Prime Minister, but a great leader who remain unstained as his wish and earned bountiful of respect and love, which brings tears in the eyes of one and all. So, truly when the valiant sleeps, whole country weep!
If anyone wants to show respect to him, it is best to follow his ideals rather than showing emotions publicly. Remember, he earned the love, gained the popularity and proved to be one of the best leaders without the arm of social media. Atal ji, a true Prime Minister our nation will always ask for. He left his footprints for his successors to built a nation which each countrymen deserves. Long Live Atal Bihari Vajpayee!