Surya Namaskar – All of us are celebrating international Yoga day on 21st June. The present situation is that everyone is familiar with yoga and its effects.
Today we are going to tell you about Surya Namaskar ( Sun Salutation ), which is an independent and complete exercise in itself.
Let’s know how to complete the twelve steps of Surya Namaskar.
- Stand straight on carpet or blanket with your both feet closely aligned. Inhale deeply, expanding your chest and relaxing your shoulders. While you inhale, raise your arms from the sides. And as you exhale, join your palms together as if praying in front of deity. It is the first salutation towards the sun.
- Keeping the palms joined in the previous prayer position, breathe in and lift your arms up and bend backwards slightly. Your biceps should lie close to your ears. This posture is to loosen up your body by stretching the entire body backwards, standing at your tip toes.
- Now, breathe out and bend forward from the waist. Go down and touch the ground but keeping your spine erect. Does this as you exhale slowly and completely.
- Breathe in stretch your body parallel to the ground. Keep your hands to the side and bring your right knee toward the right part of the chest and let your left leg stretch behind. Now, look up.
- Now as your inhale, fling your right leg also backwards aligning your entire body parallely to the ground.
- Gently bring down your knees towards the floor and exhale. Now bring your chin to rest on the floor, keep your hops elevated in the air. Your two hands, two knees, chin and chest will rest on the floor while your hip stay elevated in the air.
- This step is also known as cobra pose. This is simply aligning your chest and torso 90 degres to the ground. Make sure you use your hands to support your body and are not tempted to transfer your entire weight onto them.
- Keep your palm and feet where they are and slowly raise your mid-section.
- Now we do the opposite of what we did in the 4th step. Bring your right foot forward, while resting the left foot at its original position.
- Now, slowly bring your left foot forward, next to the right foot as you exhale.
- Now, inhale raise your hands upward and bend backward.
- Finally, exhale and stand up in relaxed manner. Feel the positive vibrations in your body. This is how you can complete one repetition of this exercise.
Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) is also associated with Yoga and Naturopathy. The sun’s heat and light have unprecedented benefits in health and increases intelligence. Do Surya Namaskar early morning on daily basis. By doing this, you can make yourself as a powerful, efficient and brilliant person.
Keep this in mind that you should contact any trainer who can guide you properly before performing the exercise.