After World War I – On 18th July 1914, Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated which made Austria and Hungary to take up arms against Serbia, thus initiating the Great War.
United States took three years to enter this battlefield of first World War to change the world forever and rise as the superpower. By the end of World War I only handful individuals from the countries which participated in the Great War remained unaffected. It has touched the lives of one and all by some way or the other. The war ended on November 1918, exactly a century ago.
So, it becomes necessary to introspect where we stand exactly a hundred years After World War I.
After World War I
The WWI has changed the world in a new way, it paved the path for a technically stronger world, with an evolved mankind that is armed with some of the deadliest weapons. War is all about bloodshed, losses and destruction. Even centuries later we fail to understand how war can bring peace with it as the superpowers suggest. Families and next generations left behind by the soldiers of the Great War grew up in the shadow of the WWI. This situation provoked the female power to understand its potential and earn the livelihood to keep the hearths burning in their kitchen. By the end of 1918, women came to the forefront and joined hands with the male soldiers in order to serve the nation. The women empowerment what we see today, was crafted during the Great War.
It was a global struggle which took several nations under its influence and changed their future forever. With each passing day more and more people got involved. Modern weapons used in this war caused heavy casualties and pushed the world into a new danger zone in order to free it of some potential threat. The old-world order collapsed to make a way for the new world we are living in today. From the ashes of WWI host of new countries emerged in Europe and Middle East. Boundaries were redefined, and new superpowers emerged to change the world order totally.
Many across the world still feels the connection of the Great War with the modern civilization, it created a history which links people from various nations even after 100years when the WWI came to an end. Do you know that many things which we practice, and materials included in our daily lives today has its roots in the first world war? Here we have a list of few things which will reflect the same:
- Earlier war was fought with guns, cannons, ammunition and swords, but WWI changed the way wars fought thereafter. Technology has taken an upper hand over the existing weapons and become crucial in implementing the deadliest weapons in the war fields. Aircraft carriers were developed during this period to take the war in the sky.
- Until the WWI commenced, an old lie promoted the thought: wars were glorious. But the huge casualties caused by the Great War exposed the lie and realities came out of the garb of romanticism. War poets, novelists, Dada movements and Surrealist nightmare paintings upheld the horrors of war. War is no longer glorious today.
- The modern intelligence agencies we have today, which plays a vital role in national security, evading wars and potential threats to the world and respective nations was first developed during the WWI.
- Post traumatic stress disorder was diagnosed for the first-time during WWI, the doctors started understanding the psychological impacts of war in a new way and opened the door for better treatment of PTSD today. Not only that, modern surgery was also born in the womb of the After World War I.
- To prevent sexually transmitted diseases armies popularized the use of condoms, which is also used as population control tool nowadays.
- Artificial nitrates which was used as explosives during that time are used as fertilizers today.
These are few things which we use today were popularized during WWI.
Even after hundred years we are still fighting to establish our power over other, hence proving that humans never learn from the mistakes. With each passing day, we are more engrossed in investing in weapons and warfare, rather than devoting ourselves in creating a better place to live. War is like a fusion reaction, once two powers collide, they form greater power not to dissolve but to overpower. It can only grow with passage of time until the unquenchable thirst for power exists.
After World War I – WWI initiated WWII, which everybody thought to be the end of all wars and start of the new era, but now we are sitting on the volcano of terrorism, which is a war against humanity. It is gradually engulfing the mankind. After a century we cannot glorify the war which meant for a new beginning, though it brought changes, but it is us who will decide whether it is good or bad! Only one thing we can say war can be “SAVAGE!!!”