The words “bikini wax” automatically sends a shudder down our spines!
For most girls think that it is excruciatingly painful, too heavy on the pocket and can lead to infections! It seems like pure torture. Huh?
Yet, we all, at some point or the other, think of going through it, for it saves us many *ugly hair bush* moments, right? Moreover, how nice it would be to stop attempting to manoeuvre a razor down there once a week and instead dealing with one 15-minute session of pain followed by 3-4 hairless weeks. And trust me, once you have gotten it done, you would never go back to razoring and shaving again.
Now, to get you physically and mentally prepared for bikini waxing, here I share with you a potential list of do(s) and don’t (s). Read on and get on to the road to heaven.
Don’t First Up!
- Do not consume alcohol before bikini wax to ease pain. Consuming alcohol tightens pores, which can lead to a painful waxing experience.
- Trimming hair too short before waxing is a bad idea. Or shaving between waxing services, which reverses the benefits of waxing, including removing hair from the root and having silky smooth skin. In order to achieve the best waxing results, make sure that your hair is grown out to about one-eighth to one-fourth of an inch, a rice grain size. This is the ideal length for hair to be before waxing because it will allow the wax to better grip the hair and be released from the root, rather than just the hair above the skin being removed. Hence, leave the natural growth for a few days before, to help a sweep clean there.
- If you are sensitive during your periods, strictly avoid having a bikini wax during those days. Plus, you may want to save the waxer of that little awful smell.
- Do not be shy or timid in front of the waxer, as you are required to expose completely, just like you do in front of your gynae. If you are squirming and pressing your thighs to hide the view, you are blocking a good job there. Just be relaxed and open up completely. Prepare yourself mentally before you enter the bikini wax cabin. Your waxer won’t judge your vagina. They have seen it all.
- Do not interfere with the waxer’s job. Leave it to her for she knows her job and is doing it for many. Your poking might get her edgy and she may ruin the task, leaving you scarred at worst possible places.
- Butt waxing, which is a part of Brazilian wax, tickles a lot. Do not giggle much there 😛
- Do not have sex and workout 24 before and after the bikini wax. If you’re planning on surprising your BF with a steamy sex session after your wax, stop. Do not do anything that would make you very sweaty down there for at least 24 hours. It can cause friction, which can lead to irritation down there. So, if you’re planning a sexy night in, get waxed at least a day or two before instead of the morning of. The skin would settle down by then.
Do(s) Are Here
- Be sure to hydrate and moisturize the skin before and between waxing. Drinking water and applying moisturizer like Dry Oil Spray and Ultimate Balm on a daily basis is not only beneficial to your body leading up to a wax, but highly beneficial to your overall health.
- Exfoliate your skin with good exfoliators in between two waxing sessions to reduce the chance of ingrown hairs. Or buy ingrown hair serum. Some waxers strongly recommended that I buy this ingrown hair serum. You can apply this every day to prevent ingrown hairs or if you already have them, apply this twice a day (morning and night). It will make you feel more smooth and protect that very sensitive area.
- If you are going sunbathing right after it, use sun protection when exposing your skin to the sun. It is especially important during the first 24 hours after waxing in order to avoid redness.
- Let your waxer know before your appointment if you have any allergies, health conditions, or are taking any medication, like Accutane, or if you are using any topical lotions or creams like AHAs or Retin-A, which are not compatible with waxing.
- Make a small talk with your waxer. I’m not going to lie to you, it is definitely a little bit awkward to be laying on a chair with your legs spread and a stranger putting wax inside your vagina while you struggle to make small talk… especially your first time, when you don’t really know what to expect. Talking to your waxer will make things feel a little more comfortable. It should only take about 15 minutes, so it’s really not that long, and eventually the awkwardness just goes away.
- Shower first if you’re anxious. If you’re really nervous about being naked with a not-so-clean body, shower right before you go. It definitely makes you feel more comfortable because you would know that you smell nice and look clean.
- Wear sweat pants or comfortable bottoms to help you feel relaxed after the waxing. I definitely suggest wearing cotton undies to your waxing appointment, especially your first one and especially if you’re running errands afterwards. The area down there will be a little bit sore, swollen and red when everything is done and so pairing that with tight jeans and a lacy thong isn’t exactly an amazing feeling.
A Little Insight For The First Timers
- Strip wax, applied hot, is the most popular wax used for bikini wax, and makes for a tedious, slow and painful procedure, often leaving the skin feeling sticky and irritated.
- Hard waxes are also applied hot and soon cool to break and crack, making the wax difficult to remove and reducing hair removal efficiency.
- Elastic wax, unique to Uni K Wax, is applied at body temperature, allowing the wax to stretch and remove hair from large areas, without strips, causing less of a pull to the skin. You can make your choice accordingly.
- Hard and honey strip wax applied too hot can cause the skin to burn, itch or bleed. Additionally, some medications or medical conditions can cause the skin to react. These skin reactions can be reduced by an experienced waxer, who should have a keen eye for problems she sees on the customer’s skin prior to waxing and the waxing technique they use.
Now girls, if you must have, you must have it, right! The boons are unlimited of a bikini wax, we all know. Plus, it really doesn’t hurt as bad as you think it does! Your waxer will put hot wax on you, which honestly feels great. It’s warm and soothing. When she rips it off, it does hurt (it stings), but that pain only lasts a few seconds. And the more you keep doing it, the less it hurts. As you go more often, the root stops growing in and there isn’t as much hair to pull out.
So don’t stress and let the bush go clean, for some delicious experiences!