Manny ‘The Pacman’ Pacquiao and Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather Jr. are gearing up for their Welterweight World Championship unification bout on May 2nd for the coveted tag of being the most prolific boxer in the world.
This fight has been classified as one of the most epic battles in history after the famous Lennox Lewis vs. Mike Tyson fight or the ‘Thrilla in Manila’ Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Frazier bout that enraptured the entire world!
No wonder it is being called the ‘Fight of the Century’.
After lots of deliberation, taunts and name-calling, both the pugilists have agreed to sort out their difference in the ring.
- The fight is scheduled to take place at the famous ‘MGM Grand’ Garden Arena in Las Vegas on May 2 this year.
- Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 KOs) and Mayweather Jr. (47-0, 26 KOs) are undoubtedly the best pugilists in the business right now.
- The fight will be telecast Live worldwide on HBO via pay-per view listings only.
- The fight deal was signed on December 12, 2014 after Mayweather insulted Pacquiao by calling him ‘not of his level’ since only Mayweather has an undefeated TKO (Total Knockout) record.
- Pacquiao finally laid to rest all speculation that was going on since 2009 during Mayweather’s brief retirement years and signed the deal to make it happen.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. Career Achievements
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. is the undefeated five-time welterweight champion of the world who has the most impressive knockout blows in boxing history.
- He is one of the most decorated punch-fighters in the history of this sport, is an 11-time world-champion in five different weight divisions and is universally recognized as the world’s foremost pound-for-pound boxer in the world.
- Mayweather has beenthe world’s highest-paid athlete various times in the Forbes magazine. Any of his fights garners a million pay-per views on an average!
- Mayweather has also been conferred with various awards like “Best Male Athlete”, “Fighter of the Year”, five ESPN-ESPY Awards and two awards from the Boxing Writers Association of America.
Manny Pacquiao Career Achievements
- Pacquiao is a two-time Congressman from Philippines who is theonly fighter in the world to win eight world titles in different weight classifications.
- He has been a three-time ‘Fighter of the Year’ and ‘Fighter of the Decade’ for the Boxing Writers Association of America.
- Pacquiao has registered iconic victories over some of the most dangerous boxers in the world like Oscar De La Hoya, Miguel Cotto, Timothy Bradley Jr. andJuan Manuel Márquez to name a few.
- Until 2010, five out of his seven victories were victories for world titles in five unique weight classes ranging from 130 to 154 pounds.
- He is credited to have sold more ‘live’ tickets in the U.S. than any other boxer in history.
- Pacquiao recently regained the WBO welterweight title in 2014 after a unanimous decision over his opponent, Timothy Bradley Jr.
Mayweather will receive the lion’s share of money from this bout with a 60-40 split. The fight is expected to gross close to $400 million.
The winner of this epic fight will receive a newly crafted belt made by the WBC which is currently valued at $1 million to gain all bragging rights of being the most decorated boxer in the world.
This fight will be epic! These are two of the most famous and highly decorated boxers this present world has seen!