These Images Prove That Our Ancient Ancestors Were Much Broadminded Than Us !
Oh, how we love to engage in stereotyped thinking about earlier generations!
They were superstitious, narrow minded and overly traditional in their thought processes and lifestyles. Well, do take a keener look at historical events, ancient monuments and olden texts.
You may be stunned to discover how brainy and forward thinking are ancestors truly were, especially in their treatment of women.
The ratio of earning men and earning women remains dismally uneven, even in these contemporary times. Gender equality was an integral part of ancient society.
- In earlier times, a woman could choose to be what she wanted to be. She could become a teacher of Ancient Texts, a writer, a queen, a courtesan, etc.
- There was a general belief that women were braver, more talented and better administrators than men were. Just think; we still practise gender bias in Parliament!
- Few modern women have the freedom to spend their earnings the way they want to. Our ancestral counterparts were luckier in that respect.
- Surprisingly, even prostitution was deemed as a respectable ‘profession’ in those days. No one harped on virginity or bothered too much about illegal relationships. Today, a man has the freedom to behave as he likes, but not a woman.
- Sex is discussed behind closed doors or in hushed tones amongst a crowd. Heavy censorship follows film certification. Our ancestors engaged in free communication.
- If you could go back in time, you would be amazed at the sculptures, monuments and temples dedicated to the depiction of sex.
- Domestic violence and domestic rape did not exist in those days.
- A woman could choose whom she wished to marry. Divorce was allowed if the partner proved to be impotent. Widow re-marriage was also common in those times.
- Apart from the fact that boys and girls had equal rights over the caregiving of their parents, they had equal rights over their property too.
Does all this make you feel that you would have had a better life if you had lived in earlier times? Well, at any rate, we think so!