Foods And Fridge – No time to buy fresh vegetables, fruits and non-veg items daily?We find it healthier to buy things for 5-7days and stack them in the refrigerator, right?
The little cold-storage unit in our kitchen, is a blessing for all the working people over there. We can store the cooked food for 2-3days, and store raw vegetables, fruits, juices, milk, etc. until the next weekend. Thus, making the refrigerator a substantial part of our daily life.
But, on many occasions we find fresh vegetables going stale,straight into the dust-bin within a day or two. We are right, that storing food items at lower temperature in the fridge keeps it fresh for longer period, but there are some foods which doesn’t complement the cold-storage unit. Refrigeration actually changes the flavor in bad way and reduces the nutritional values, accelerating the spoiling process of many food items.
Here we have a list of ten such items, which is better to be divorced from the Foods And Fridge relationship, otherwise they would be mere wastage. They are as follows:
Foods And Fridge relationship –
- The red blushing tomatoes start losing its freshness and flavor as soon as you store it in the refrigerator. The lower temperature of the fridge interferes with the natural ripening process, by ceasing it from ripening further. As a result, the natural fresh flavor of the tomatoes islost, and they start getting aged wrinkles after few days. If you keep them outside, they naturally ripen even after being plucked; retaining the freshness for few days.
- The average life span of a potato is 2-3weeks when kept at normal temperature outside your cold-storage unit. When you put Mr. Potato in the refrigerator, the starchy thing in it get fizzles out changing the flavor of the potato and this shortens the longevity of this modified stem.
- Onions tend to dry up quickly in the fridge, when compared to its storage in fresh air, and they leave an oniony smell lingering in the fridge turning all other food items smelly. The moisture in the refrigerator turns them soft, increasing the spoiling process. They remain fresh for longer period when you store them into some cool and dark spot.
- The low temperature of the fridge affects the lifespan of the garlic, causing molds to develop and reduces the flavor of the white cloves. It is suggested to store them in the room temperature, where they can survive for almost months.
- We often have a misconception of keeping the fresh herbs in the low temperature of the refrigerator, which keeps the freshness intact. But, when you store them at low temperature, it starts wilting as the water content in them starts dipping. They itself has a short lifespan, but can be kept fresh for 2-3 days, when kept outside fridge and is sprinkled with water daily.
- Fruits like apples, bananas, citrus foods, peaches are not meant for refrigeration. They remain fresh for longer when you keep them in your kitchen counter at the room temperature. Once cut, then you can store them in air-tight container in the fridge. The low temperature affects the flavors and textures of these fruits.
- When you store the melons under refrigeration, they tend to turn into powdery and grainy texture, owing to breakdown of its natural elements. To keep the flavors intact, you don’t have to refrigerate it. Once cut, have it fully to enjoy the fresh fruit or store it in fridge for maximum 3days, avoid longer period.
- Peanut butter doesn’t need refrigeration, it can retain its freshness in the cool corner of your kitchen counter.
- The naturally sweet honey is at its best when kept at the room temperature. It has self-preserving properties induced naturally. If you refrigerate it, they tend to crystalize, turning the succulent honey into a chunk of hard sweet.
- When you keep the fresh loaf of bread at room temperature outside the fridge, you can enjoy it for almost 3days. Once you keep it in the refrigerator to avoid the fungus on it, the natural chewiness of the bread vanishes and tastes differently.
Foods And Fridge – These are the few items which you should avoid refrigerating. Other than that, various other food items like: vinegar, sauce, pickles, dry fruits, peppers, oils and many other items; which already has preservatives in it and are dry in nature should be spared a room in your refrigerator. Knowing this, may help you to save few pennies in the future, which you lost with each food item you thrown into your dust-bin.
The fridge is invented to help you store many food items, for keeping them fresh for longer period of time. It doesn’t qualify that each and every item, foods and fridge, is for that cold storage unit. Knowing the items and their perfect storage unit would help you enjoy your food fresh for longer period. Freshness is next to healthiness.