Indian Cricket Team’s most successful skipper ever ‘“ MS Dhoni turns 33 on July 7. Cricket’s finest finisher ever is now the most ‘˜oldest’ player in the side with the veterans having called it a day.
Indian Cricket Team’s most successful skipper ever – MS Dhoni turns 33 on July 7. Cricket’s finest finisher ever is now the most ‘oldest’ player in the side with the veterans having called it a day. India cricket enters a new phase with young talent emerging from all corners of the country and with the World Cup scheduled for next year, this may be ‘Mahi’s’ final phase in international cricket.
Dhoni made his international debut on December 23, 2004 and after his 2007 T20 World Cup triumph in South Africa, the BCCI handed him over the captaincy reins. In mere three years – Dhoni has played 83 Tests, 243 ODIs and 49 T20Is scoring 4459, 8046 and 822 runs respectively.
Here are some of his memorable quotes on and off the field:
- “You don’t play for the crowd, you play for the country.”
- “You may put hybrid fuel in the car but the cylinder, the engine, everything, needs to be like that.”
- “I don’t study cricket too much. Whatever I have learned or experienced is through cricket I’ve played on the field, and whatever little I have watched.”
- “I never allow myself to be pressured.”
- “If you bat with Sachin for 15 games you have the kind of experience you’d have after 50 games,” says India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni in praise of Sachin Tendulkar.
- “I’m just a soldier and I’m supposed to play. I’m not the one making decisions. I can’t be giving opinions. As a player, my job is to go out and play and nothing else.”
- “We are not thinking about what may happen if we achieve or what may happen if we don’t succeed because those two things are beyond our control.”
- “I never predict what will happen in cricket. We believe in each other and we believe in the process.”
- “We don’t rely on one specific individual. We expect everybody to contribute.”
With the England Test series round the corner, we wish the Indian skipper all the best for the series and hopefully, achieve a lot of success!