Getting ahead of your competition in this ever-competitive environment is critical in landing you with your dream job and a lucrative salary package.
This edge can only be achieved if you put in some extra effort to be apart from the rest in a different sort of way.
Diplomas and PG Certifications seem to be slowly becoming the current choice of students in India over traditional degree education. We take a look at this phenomenon below:
Why Are They So Popular Over Traditional Degrees?
In today’s world, niche specializations during your post-graduation years are more in vogue compared to the traditional degree which tends to eat up two or more years of your time. Niche PG specializations offer you these benefits over traditional degrees:
- More or less the same course material is covered in a considerably shorter duration
- The time that you save by studying your course material faster helps you get work more faster than people doing a full-time degree
- Many employers today look for that extra spark in your resume’, which specialization courses give you
- In some fields, such as media and marketing, specialization courses sometimes get more weightage than traditional degrees because they are done under the guidance of specialized and highly trained instructors which some degree colleges may lack.
Overview of Courses Available In India
PG specialization courses are available in almost all fields of learning, technical and non-technical. A few specialization courses by some famous colleges in India are mentioned below according to their niche.
Indian Institute of Management offers various PG specialization courses in Corporate Strategy & Policy, Economics & Social Sciences, Finance & Control, Marketing and Production\Operations Management.
Safdurjung Hospital in New Delhi offers PG specialization courses in specialized medical procedures such as: Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy, Diploma in Anaesthesia, Diploma in Child Health, M.Ch – Plastic Surgery, MD – Anaesthesiology, MD – Microbiology to name a few.
College of Engineering & Technology in Bikaner offers varied trainings in the following sub-fields of engineering: Aeronautical Engineering, Building and Construction, Computer, Electrical and Electronics, Information Technology, Mechanical, Petroleum engineering, etc.
Amity University\ MV Media Institute, Lucknow \ SIMC, Pune, all offer specialized courses in journalism that cater various journalism genres such as reporting, editing, correspondence, video editing, analysis generation and many more.
SSDN Technologies in Delhi NCR, offers varied specializations in courses required for mobile and application development. They also offer specialized vocational trainings required by current employers to ensure quality of work and efficiency in their employees, for e.g. ITIL, PMP, Six Sigma and TQM.
IGNOU offers a horde of courses in hospitality management for specific industry requirements such as:
Hotel management, Air ticketing, Hospital management, Tourism development and more
National School of Drama offers specialized certifications in acting, presentation, direction and editing. Global DJ institute in Mumbai offers DJ training and Electronic Music Production.
3D Design and CAD Architecture
Institutes like Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematics, Arena Animation, Frameboxx, and Animaster offer specialized courses in 3D modelling, texturing, lighting and compositing. They also have separate courses for VFX training and CAD architecture management.
Are These Meant For You?
- This is a very tiny list compiled here to illustrate to you the changing mindset of India’s youth, they want quality education at a faster pace in order to soar in their career of choice.
- Almost every field of learning now has one or the other specialized courses to support students who are unable to take up regular degree courses.
- These courses are available in part-time or long distance learning format to help you overcome the constraints of time, especially if you have other work at hand or are unable to attend a regular college due to some circumstances or health concerns.
Whether you go the specialization way or the degree way, you end up learning the same course material but in a different style of presentation.
Specialization courses are currently becoming a trending choice amongst India’s youth since they are easier to do, do not require any cut-off marks to take admissions into and give you a feel of your intended industry even before you become a part of it.