After Jai Ho, Gunday is probably the second film that got off to a flying start, making a special space in the hearts of the masses.
After Jai Ho, Gunday is probably the second film that got off to a flying start, making a special space in the hearts of the masses. Even though the film got a very cold response from the critics, the numbers speak otherwise. The collections go somewhat like this: The movie has earned around Rs 99.22 Crore approximately, which includes Rs 17.22 Crore that has come from the overseas.
Seems like the audience loved the Ranveer-Priyanka-Arjun combo, and the crackling chemistry between the three worked with them.
How Gunday managed to garner all that moolah…here are a couple of reasons I can think of
1) People love seeing larger-than-life heroes on screen, and Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor have done just that, portrayed these good-at-heart goons. They have hammed unabashedly, showed off their mean muscles and also indulged in a great deal of action, inviting a huge round of applause from people of course.
2) Priyanka Chopra- this chick has the Midas touch. She acts in any film and that makes its way into the coveted 100 Crore club. Be it Krrish or Barfi!, the actor is already on this super high pedestal, and I don’t think that’s going to collapse any time soon. And she plays a sexy cabaret dancer in the film too, an icing on the cake, no?
3) The songs of the film are such foot-thumpers. Dil mein baji ghantiya is already a huge hit in clubs and is a favourite amongst Bollywood song lovers. And of course the Bongs love it too since the songs begins with words like ‘oh shona oh shona’, which I am sure brings a cheery grin on every Bong’s face.
4) The film has this ‘70s flavor, which takes you back to the ‘old is Gold’ era of Kala Pathar, Sholay and Kaalia. Flashes of Amitabh Bachchan’s angry young man antics, Dharmendra’s mardaana style, Shatrugan Sinha’s masculine pride – all of it reflects in Gunday.
5) Also the film stars the amazingly talented Irrfan Khan and Saurabh Shukla who play very strong roles. When you are not busy watching Ranveer’s heaving pectorals and Arjun’s delicious bod, you are hooked on to Irrfan’s aura and Saurabh’s impeccable performance.