IPL is played every year amongst much fanfare, glitz and glamour.
But, in recent times the spirit of cricket has taken a hit with various controversies like spot fixing, sledging, slow-over rate, sketchy bowling actions and what not!
So many players have been kicked out of the IPL for indulging in the divulging of confidential information, even umpires have been doing it!
IPL Season 8 – The Much Anticipated ‘India Ka Tyohaar’
IPL is entering its 8th season now, but it too has witnessed all the aforementioned drama in almost every season ever since its inception. IPL now is nothing more than a transfer of millions from one pocket to another. The cricket may be electrifying but all that remains is the controversy.
This year’s IPL hasn’t even begun and it is also surrounded with controversies off the pitch.
- Sunil Narine, the most prolific bowler the IPL has ever seen was almost relegated to the bench for his dubious action. Kolkata Knight Riders even threatened to forfeit playing in this season and not play for the championship. However, the action has been cleared after much debacle and Narine can now play for KKR.
- People are dying to see Pakistani players on Indian soil playing in the IPL! Anyone listening? Till date the ties between the two boards and countries are not resolved to let the spirit of cricket prevail and as a result of that this year’s IPL auction did not figure any Pakistan players.
- Mitchell Starc, the player who was named the Man of the tournament in the World Cup 2015 and the one who picked up 14 wickets in last year’s IPL is currently ruled out for the initial stages of this IPL due a knee injury.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore for whom Starc might just play this season is also suffering a major blow since Adam Milne’s heel injury is still sore for which he was forced to leave the New Zealand semi-final and final matches in the world cup.
- KKR has booked Johan Botha and Azhar Mahmood (English player not Pakistani) as possible replacements for James Neesham and Chris Lynn who are currently ruled out for play due to hamstring injuries.
- Shakib Al Hasan will miss out many matches due to his Bangladesh series with Pakistan, if it actually takes place however it seems like the ties have fallen out and the series will not take place.
- Delhi Daredevils has already been called very weak by JP Duminy since it has a very unsettled and technically unsettled team.
- Yuvraj Singh and Zaheer Khan are eyeing a comeback into the national team but their fitness is still a big question especially since they haven’t really played much of international T20 in recent times.
- Rajasthan Royal’s fiery pacer Kane Richardson has also been ruled out citing personal reasons.
- Delhi Daredevils has taken another hit since their star batsman Angelo de Matthews will a lot of matches due to the ethnic tension over the treatment of Tamil players leading to a ban of SL players playing. in south India.
- A lot of doubts are being raised at RCB’s chances this year to overturn their mishaps last season, but already people are doubting VIrat Kohli’s role as captain due to his follies in the World Cup.
This year the IPL has seen more controversies and drama even before a single match has been played! When the entire schedule of match fixture can be changed to the incumbent Kolkata Municipal Elections, anything can happen!
Lets’s hope the best team wins and KKR lives up to the title they won last year.