A step-by-step guide to make high-waisted shorts from an old T-shirt.
What you need:
A T-shirt with stretchable fabric
Pen for marking
A huge paper for marking measurements and cut-out of the shorts
- Measure your waist and thighs. Divide your waist measurement by 4 and thigh’s by ½ and note down on a paper. Measure the length you would want to keep and make a note.
- A short’s panel will look like figure 1.
- With your waist, thigh and length measurements (the calculated ones), draw a panel, as shown in the figure, on the paper. For the crotch area, you can keep 2 inches. Cut it out.
- Take your T-shirt and cut out the upper portion with the neck and sleeves. You will be left with a rectangular piece of cloth.
- Pin the draft on to the fabric and cut out leaving a ½ inch seam allowance. You will have two panel pieces.
- Spread out the pieces, put the good sides together (without the seam) and sew along both the curves, leaving the crotch area. Use a zigzag stitch to avoid ripping.
- Grab the fabric from the centre and open, so that the crotch comes in between. Now sew the crotch.
- Turn it inside out and you have something looking like shorts. Hem the top and bottom.
- Cut out two loops from the remaining fabric and stitch onto the shorts. Wear a nice belt and you are good to go.